Friday, January 17, 2020

How do I get my GPS working in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean?


Recently I've been having all sorts of troubles with audio and GPS and the compass... I tried different ROMs, different kernels, different patches.


The short story is that after a long time spent messing around trying to get all features working at the same time, in the end I had to factory reset my phone and start anew.


Now, the current situation is that I have a rooted phone running Jelly Bean 4.1. It's freshly installed as of about an hour before writing this.


However, the GPS is unresponsive. Of course I want to fix this, but I don't want to go through the whole mess I just went through over the last few days.


So... how do I get my GPS working without playing feature whack-a-mole? I'm taking a breath, slowing down, and I'm looking for a reliable patch or process that I can execute with reasonable assurance and no guesswork.


Specifics are that I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, GT-I9100, issued in Japan. Android version 4.1.2, Kernel 3.0.15-CM (Siyah 5.0.1), Cyanogenmod 10-20121120-NIGHTLY.


Update: The compass issue I mentioned earlier was fixed when I used the build of Cyanogenmod available in this thread on the XDA forum. So I'm now just focused on fixing the GPS.



Answer




I found a solution in this answer in the XDA forum.


To generalize and hopefully be of use to others, the key point seems to be that even if you think you have the right ROM for the right device, it might be that your particular model has very slight differences.


In my case, if I understand correctly, I was using ROMs built for the GT-I9100 model of the Samsung Galaxy S2. However, the device issued in Japan, the SC-02C, has some very slight differences. So, I needed to get be more particular about which software I downloaded.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...