Friday, June 28, 2019

lock screens - What is an "Emergency Call," and can I set number for it?


On the default lock screen, whether using pattern or pin, there is a button at the bottom which says "Emergency Call". But if I try to call my home number or anything it tells me "That is not an emergency call." What does it let through? Is it only 911?



Is there any way to tell it to allow a certain set of numbers from the emergency button, like to set a list of emergency numbers such as: 911, Home and Wife? This would seem like it would be very useful, so if someone finds you smooshed on the road, they know these certain people should be called.



Answer



The purpose of that feature is so that if there is an emergency you can dial an emergency number (911) without having to unlock the phone. Its not so that someone else can use it to call your wife/mother/ICE number. It's not a bad idea since if you were hurt then someone else could inform those people but as I understand its just for emergency numbers (although to be honest I don't know of any other emergency numbers other than 911).


Edit: I just realized that if you lost your phone you wouldn't want others to be able to make calls from the phone (another reason why it only allows emergency numbers). However if, as you suggested, it only allowed certain numbers... that would be cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...