Monday, June 10, 2019

finger print scanner - An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor


Shortly ago, my J7 Prime stopped recognizing my fingerprint.


When I go to Settings -> Lock screen and security -> Fingerprint Scanner I get




An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your device.



I tried a few options I found, and none worked:



  1. Rebooting.

  2. Going into Safe Mode. The same error appears. Plus, almost all my widgets in the home screen disappeared, so I had to redo it.

  3. Settings -> Apps -> Three dots -> Show system apps -> Fingerprint -> Clear Data . The cache was already empty. Rebooting.

  4. Logging off and into my Samsung account.

  5. Developer options (this was already enabled) -> OEM unlock -> Enable. Reboot. Developer options -> OEM unlock -> Disable, and Developer options -> Disable.



What I did not (and I cannot) try:



  1. Rooting my phone (it is a corporate device).

  2. Resetting my phone (same).


What can I do to fix the problem? (other than taking it to the IT dept.)



Answer



There was a system update pending. After I updated the fingerprint sensor came back to life.


(Note: Not only that... about 1.5GB were freed, which I very much needed. Unfortunately, Android's gluttony will promptly take care of it.)


I cannot propose this as a general solution as:




  1. I am not sure it will always work (although after the update there were a few glitches that got fixed, so I guess there are chances it will work).

  2. This depends on the existence of a pending update, which will not always be available.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...