Friday, May 1, 2015

encryption - Will a Custom Recovery work with an encrypted device?


I wanted to know whether using Android's built-in encryption (introduced in 3.0) would affect my ability to use a custom recovery (Clockwork Mod in my case).


More specifically if I will still be able to perform Nandroid backups/restores and flash new files and updates?



Answer



ce4's answer did not work for me on my Galaxy Nexus GSM (Maguro) using CWM 6.0.1.1. I kept getting errors from CWM telling me it couldn't mount /sdcard even after I mounted a tmpfs there and used adb to push the update.zip there.


After reading a thread at XDA I found out that unlike CWM, TWRP is capable of mounting an encrypted sdcard partition. So I downloaded TWRP for the GNex and flashed it using fastboot. When I booted in to recovery it asked me for the password for the encrypted sdcard partition and I was able to flash the update normally.


Links:
TWRP
XDA Thread


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...