Sunday, May 10, 2015

4.0 ice cream sandwich - Gmail won't sync, apps don't update: "Device doesn't have enough storage space"


I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, Android 4.0.4. For the last few days I can't sync my gmail or update any apps.


enter image description here


This, of course, is a barefaced lie. There is plenty space available:



enter image description here


But still, I have this constant message, "Phone storage space is getting low".


enter image description here


And I can't update any apps, because this tells me that "Application cannot be installed in the default location".


I have been using this phone for 2.5 years without needing an SD card, and I don't see any reason why I should now suddenly need to get one for my phone to continue working the way it has for the past couple years.


After googling and finding many other posts with the same problem I have tried every suggested solution that I found:



  • Restarting

  • Cleaning the app cache

  • Cleaning the contacts cache


  • Removing my Google account, then re-adding it.

  • Uninstalling every unnecessary application.


But this stupid message keeps appearing and preventing my phone from updating.


Anyone else have any ideas how to fix this?



Answer



It seems to react on your low, internal memory. And while 178 MB should be enough for a few small apps, there might be something that denies more installation due to already low amount of space.


Now, the first thing I would advise you to do is uninstall any app you don't really need. However, many apps come with the phone, so they can not be removed. For these, and any app you do not want to remove, you can clear the cache. To do that, hit settings -> Application manager -> Slide til you see a list called "all". Now all you have to do is hit each app you want to clear the cache off, and choose "Clear data" and "Clear cache". Beware that the "clear data" option will likely delete any saved password or settings the app uses, and thus you might need to redo those settings. It may also delete some information attached to the app, so use the "clear data" option at your own risk. Tho for apps like facebook and twitter, the option should do no harm.


You can also choose to move some apps to the SD card. While I have not tried that out myself, it should push some of the stuff from internal to "external" memory.


You may also want to download Clean Master. It's an app somewhat similar to CCleaner, if you are familiar with that (deletes cache and junk files). I use it myself, and it helps a bit. It's free and you can download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cleanmaster.mguard&hl=eng



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...