Saturday, May 16, 2015

wi fi - Reusing old Android phone?


I was curious if there is anyway to reuse an old Android phone? I have a Motorola Droid 1 that has been sitting around since I got my HTC Thunderbolt. Is there a way to use the phone as a "PDA" with the cell radio disabled? I got family member that would find it neat.



Answer



You can still use all the functions of the phone (except carrier based calling of course) without a carrier contract. However, the cell radio will eat up battery hugely! To turn off the radio, dial *#*#4636#*#*, scroll down and click the "Turn off radio" button. Bluetooth and WiFi will still function normally.


If your phone is rooted you can actually turn the radio off by setting a script to run that will automatically turn off the radio at boot time:



  • Create a script as a text file at the root of your SD card containing this text:



#!/system/bin/sh

#!/system/bin/radiooptions

radiooptions 1


  • Install Script Manager app.

  • Open Script Manager and then select the script you created.

  • Check the "Run as root" option and the "Run at boot" checkboxes.

  • Click the "Save" button, and then click "Run" to test.



I do exactly this with my old og Droid myself and use it as a dashboard cam when I'm driving to record in case I'm in an accident.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...