Monday, December 22, 2014

My Samsung Galaxy S front-facing camera doesn't work in camera app, Gtalk or Skype -- How can I use it?


One of the reasons I brought my Samsung Galaxy S was because it has a front facing camera.


However I have found since buying it:



  • Camera app can't use it

  • Gtalk doesn't support video calling on android

  • Skype isn't supported (Update: skype has announced support, but not working on Galaxy S yet, and is voice only)



So what can I actually do with my front facing camera or did I just waste my money?



Answer



The built-in Camera app on the Galaxy S can use the front facing camera. It's called "Self Shot Mode" and I've used it on mine once or twice, easiest way to grab a quick picture of you and a friend when there's no one else around to take the shot.


Open the camera app, press the square symbol at the top-left (the mode button), press Self-Shot, smile at the funny person on the screen!


Update November 2010: As an update, the official Samsung Froyo release has changed the way this works, there is a new icon in the top-left of the camera screen, that looks like a camera with rotating arrows around it, pressing this button swaps between the front and rear cameras. Picture of the new button to swap between cameras


See this table for a list of which Galaxy S models have the front facing camera (and other differences between the models in the range).


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...