Tuesday, December 9, 2014

localization - How do I change the Google Play country?


Can someone tell me how to change the country preference for Google Play? I have searched high and low but in most of the forums people ask you to go to Gmail settings -> edit profile and change the country there. But there is no place to change the country in settings! There is a something called place (which can be marked as current) but that has no impact on Google Play.


I don't want to circumvent country restrictions, I want to permanently change the country. So it's NOT a duplicate of How can I circumvent regional restrictions in Google's Play Store?.



Answer



What turned out to actually do it in the end, was to make an actual purchase.


In Google wallet, I had updated all my information, as well as added a new card with my new address attached to it. This in itself however didn't seem to be enough.


Later though, I actually purchased something through Play using the new card, and after that I could access things in Play that previously could not due to regional restrictions.


There may be some form of prioritization between different cards, so it's possible that you need to remove your pre-existing cards as well.


Michael Hoffman mentions that it may be enough to




Click to begin a download until you reach the "Accept and buy" screen



and thus there is no need to complete the purchase. Otherwise, getting a refund after the purchase could save you the money.


For those moving countries, it might be useful to check Googles acceptable Payment methods page.


I don't know if it's necessary, but user Ikon also adds this after adding a new card:



Went to the apps settings and wiped Play's data. Rebooted phone, accepted terms again for Play and now I can install



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...