Wednesday, December 10, 2014

2.3 gingerbread - Data recovery on boot-looped Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100


I have a boot-looped Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100, running the Android 2.3 Gingerbread it came with, unrooted and unmodified (although Optus-branded).
The phone's battery depleted while the phone was running; now, any attempt to boot the phone results in the boot sequence looping indefinitely.
I wish to recover data from this device (before attempting to solve the boot-loop problem later via factory reset or other method).


I read the boot-loop tag information but the instructions have not been helpful for me: I have tried to boot into Safe Mode, but my attempts also trigger the indefinite boot-loop; I wiped the cache via stock recovery but that had no effect; and, the last recommendation was a factory reset which I won't follow until I have recovered the data.


I believe USB Debugging is already enabled. I have an 8GB external SD card and I have Linux Mint 13 as my desktop operating system.


This answer indicated that it should be possible to root the phone and recover data via the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) for a different Samsung Galaxy S version, but I need instructions for the Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100 if this avenue is worth pursuing.
This seems related to this question but could be a different variant and issue. It's not the same as this question because I need to recover data.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...