Wednesday, December 17, 2014

mi a1 - How to enable multilingual typing in Google Keyboard (GBoard) app?


Until recently I had multilingual typing enabled on my keyboard. It was possible to swipe in German and English at the same keyboard without changing languages. The spacebar had "English - German" written on it.


Somehow it got accidentally turned off. Maybe by some gesture on the spacebar?


Now I can't figure out how to turn that feature on again. The toggle used to turn it on in the keyboard settings is disabled and can't be turned on.


IMG:


The hint says that multiple languages have to be enabled. But where can that be done?


On the languages screen there are already two languages. Unfortunately they are also separate keyboards and I always have to switch with the globe button.


IMG:




Answer



This seems to be an incompatibility or bug in newer versions of Gboard. The issue was solved for me by uninstalling all updates for Gboard.


Go to system preferences -> "apps and notifications" -> "all apps" -> "Gboard". Choose the 3 dot icon on top right and select "uninstall all updates".


This downgraded Gboard to version 7.5.12.211120321-release where it works. It doesn't work for me in the current Gboard stable release (version 7.6.13.215505041-release) nor in the current beta release (version 7.7.5.218156409-beta).


screenshot: uninstall all updates


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...