Wednesday, December 3, 2014

2.3 gingerbread - How do I migrate from one SD card to another one?




Possible Duplicate:

How do I switch my Android device's SD card without causing problems?



I just moved to Android from iOS. My new droid is Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V which came with a 2GB SD card. This card is almost full so I want to get a bigger and faster SD card. I have installed many apps on this SD card so I'm wondering how I can move all the content of the old card to the new one when I finally purchase it. How do I do this?



Answer



As the solution described by yrajabi basically works, it might miss some data -- e.g. if you have moved some apps to SD card using App2SD, you might miss them afterwards. So a much safer approach is:



  1. shut down your device

  2. take out the SDCard

  3. put the SDCard into a card reader, and attach this card reader to your PC

  4. make sure all files are visible in your "copy GUI" (which ever you use)


  5. copy all files and directories, including hidden ones, into an empty folder on your computer

  6. safely unmount the card, and replace it by the new one

  7. same way, copy all data (including hidden files/directories) to the new card

  8. safely unmount that card, and place it back into your device

  9. power up the device, you are done


This way you can make sure no files/directories have been hidden from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...