Saturday, September 28, 2019

wi fi - Switching profiles based on networks availability


While there are plenty of apps to switch profiles based on various triggers (time, position, ...), Llama being an excellent one for instance -- I did not manage to find any which would from time to time switch a network device on (Wifi, Bluetooth) and check whether a previously configured network is available, then connect if it is available. Should the network not be available, or not be available anymore, the device would be switched off. Until the next check.


This would be extremely useful for someone who is neither very much "time organized" (ie. I do not know what I will be doing a Tuesday at 10:00), nor "place organized" (I spend some time in the neighborhood of my WiFi access point, without the access point being close enough to be connected to, but close enough for cell/GPS based location to think I am in its direct vicinity).


Would someone know of such an application (or a combo - one for WiFi, one for Bluetooth)?


Thank you!



Answer




As usual: try with Tasker. Tasker can react on "network near" (check for WiFi SSID), you also can check signal levels and react depending on that. This way you could not even check whether a certain WiFi network is in reach, but also how strong its signal is -- which might prove helpful e.g. in an office building with multiple WiFi networks to determine which room you are in.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...