Monday, September 30, 2019

What are the security disadvantages of rooting an Android phone?


I know there was a discussion previously BUT they didn't talk about security. E.g.: if I root my phone will all my apps run with root permission?

Related: Are there any risks to rooting a device?



Answer



The answer is no: not all application will have root permission. Not all the apps require root and the apps requiring root will not have it unless you give them permission to do so. At least that's what I can tell after using z4root and superoneclick to root a few phones. You get a superuser app that will get requests from apps needing the root account and you'll have the option to enable that or not. Risks connected to rooting a device are, more or less, the risks connected to using an administrative user on any kind of Unix-like system.


Ever tried a rm -R (a command to delete all files) on GNU/Linux? It's like putting in the recycle bin your Windows folder and empty it just because you're a root user and you can do it.


Superpowers always involve super responsibilities and super attentions :)


Said that I have to say that in my everyday use (with a little brain turned on) I can't see a real way to get any kind of harm. But if you install strange scripts coming from al quaeda and tons of pirated apps and poor not certified code... Well. Bad things could happen.


Install a recovery and do a nandroid backup. After that play happily with your phone :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...