Thursday, September 19, 2019

gps - Battery drains even when plugged in while using Nav app on long road trips


I have a Nexus S running Android 4.0.3 and Google Maps 6.8.1.


When I use the Google Maps navigation app, the battery slowly drains, even when plugged into my car charger. After 5-6 hours, the phone will shut down due to loss of power.


I have already tried:




  • Using only 2G mode

  • Configured all of my (configurable) apps not to check for updates, fetch mail, etc, except when I tell it to.

  • Reduced CPU speed, changed CPU governor, etc


I've had limited success reducing the CPU speed too much, as it makes the nav app unresponsive when I set it too low.


I have not tried dimming the screen much, as I can already barely see it when driving with sun glasses on.


Is this normal behavior, or is my phone faulty (or misconfigured)?


What else can I do?




  • Perhaps there's a better way to charge my phone (different charger/USB cable?)

  • Perhaps there's some way to automatically disable the screen except when within a certain distance of a turn? I.e. if the screen auto-blanked after 5 minutes, then would re-activate whenever there were spoken instructions, that would be fine with me.

  • Perhaps there's another nav app that's more friendly on the battery?


EDIT Even in my car, I use an A/C charger with a DC/AC inverter, rather than one of the round cigarette-lighter style chargers.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...