Sunday, September 22, 2019

email - Why does Exchange ActiveSync not keep more than 'x' days of mail?


I have a HTC Desire X. I have set Exchange ActiveSync to download past 3 days. However, why does it not keep older mails which are already downloaded? i.e. on Friday, I can see mails from Tuesday on. On Saturdays, I can only from Wednesday on. The Tuesday email which was already downloaded and read is no longer visible?


Is there a way to make not delete the local copy of older emails?



There is an earlier question which is similar - Why does stock email app only keep 25 latest emails?


However I don't think the accepted answer there is relevant here. From that answer



to prevent large transfers of data that end up using the device communication thus leading to a faster battery drain;



Why would keeping older mails cause large transfer of data? The older mails are already downloaded and are there on your phone.



to preserve memory consumption that in turn would leave your device slow and inefficient.



Just because the older mails are there on disk, it will not increase memory consumption. A better way to program it would be display '3' days but have a way to show older ones on demand - since the app would read it from disk only on demand, it wouldn't increase memory consumption.



My phone runs Android 4.0.4.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...