Sunday, March 4, 2018

sms - Can the Nexus 7 send and receive GSM texts and calls?


The Nexus 7 3G is out and I'm wondering whether Android 4.2 tablets are still data-only devices. Can I install a custom ROM or apk to this tablet so that I can send and receive GSM calls and text messages on it? If not, why not? What's missing?


Added: Nexus 7 3G has many hardware features of phones, but not all: It has gps, bluetooth, headphone jack, accelerometer, gyroscope, ambient light sensor, compass and nfc, but does not have a receiver (earpiece), haptic feedback (vibrate) or a rear camera. IF the 8"x5" tablet can be used as a phone, you won't look funny putting it against your ear because it has no earpiece.


Added: The question is about GSM calls and texting, not VOIP or SIP calls or tethering.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...