Tuesday, March 27, 2018

How to stop Google Keep from seeing numeric data as phone numbers?


Google Keep on Android seems to convert arbitrary numeric data into clickable phone numbers. Any sequence of 5 or more digits, with differing punctuation seems to trigger it. I seem to have triggered this a lot so far and not once have I actually typed a phone number! This is proving to be quite problematic. The hypertext'd numbers are too easy to tap, particularly when you are going back to edit that text, which then transports you away to the dialer! Most annoying.


Google Keep on Android having converted


Is there any way to prevent the app from doing this?


UPDATE: I installed the update to 1.0.79 today but there is no change in this behaviour yet. In fact I can't see that anything has changed with this update?! Possibly bug fixes I guess, but nothing new is listed in the official change log either?!


However, this over zealous hyperlinking of numbers is more prevalent than I first thought... the default text messaging app does it as well - so I guess they share a common text-element?



Answer



Looks to be bad recognition by Google's code. :-/ Happens on mine as well and no setting can change it.



Google is surprisingly receptive to feedback on its apps (a bug fix I reported made it into Google Music's update!), so two ways to get this fixed:


Go to Keep's page and click "Email Developer" and write this up. Or, within Keep, Menu -> Send Feedback.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...