Friday, March 23, 2018

Skype showing me as online - after stopping app and even after device shutdown?


Scenario A:



  1. start Skype

  2. do some other work

  3. shut down the Android device



Problem:
My contacts are still seeing me as being "online".
Strangely enough there seems to be no heartbeat feature implemented in Skype.
So even after 1 day my contacts are trying to call me - even though the device is powered off.


Initially I thought this symptom would occur in case i forgot to manually quit the Skype app before shutting down the device.
So i was searching for an answer how to configure Skype to automatically log off / quit when the Android device is shutting down?


But now it turned out the situation is even worse:


Scenario B:




  1. start Skype

  2. do some other work

  3. quit the Skype app

  4. shut down the Android device


After step 3 I'm still listed as being "online".
When a contact sends me a chat message it pops up.
So it means: even though Skype no longer appears in the task manager it seems to be running as a secret, invisible background task!?


And after step 4 the behaviour is the same as in Scenario A. I'm not transitioning to "offline" state.


Summary:

There seem to be 3 problems:



  • no heartbeat feature implemented in Skype

  • quitting the Skype app is not properly terminating / signing off

  • shutting down the Android device also is not influencing the online status


The only thing that works for me so far:
You must switch to Skype, tap on your profile, at the very bottom manually do "sign out".

That's just not bearable.


This is:

Android 4.1.2
Skype 4.9.0.45564
Skype 5.0.0.49715
Skype 5.1.0.56619
Skype 5.1.0.58677
Skype 5.4.0.5871 (at least I'm now showing as being "Away" - instead of "Online")


2015-08-15 - the problem is back and it's even worse:
Android 5.1.1
Skype 5.9.0.14047
Even though I'm manually signing out, terminating the app and shutting down the Android device I'm still being shown as being "online"!!



--
All of the above tested @ Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (WiFi only) / GT-P3110




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...