Tuesday, July 18, 2017

4.0 ice cream sandwich - Can I disable the camera sound in the new ICS camera app (in silent mode)?


Android got a brand new camera app with ICS. The old camera app from previous android versions didn't play a sound when the phone is in silent mode, the new one does. Obviously this can be somewhat anoying in some situations.


Can this sound be muted?


Note: I'm asking for an answer that doesn't require a rooted device. I'm aware that I can rename/delete the sound files from the system (as documented in this question), but I'd rather not root a device just for this.



Answer




Alright, I went through the sourcecode and the answer is surprisingly obvious:


Yes, this can often be muted by simply using the volume keys while using the app or adjusting the volume of the media audio channel in the preferences. The media volume is used, regardless if the device is in normal, silent or vibrate mode. But it depends on where you bought your device if this works (I guess), some devices enforce audio over a channel that can't be muted.


More (technical) details:
The camera app checks the device configuration (system property ro.camera.sound.forced) whether it should play the camera sounds over a system-enforced audio channel that can't be muted. If this setting is off, it uses the media and music channel instead.


In case that it uses the music channel, it ignores when the device is in silent mode though. This might be a bug/small oversight by the authors. This is why you have to adjust the channel volume instead.


I guess the property mentioned above is set depending on where you buy your device, since the sound is required by law in some places/countries as explained by eldarerathis in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...