Friday, June 23, 2017

How can I prevent my Desire HDs battery from draining overnight?


I've recently got the new HTC Desire HD, which has a poor battery to start with (1230 mAh), but in the last two weeks I've had several nights waking up with a dead battery.


The first few nights, I suspect that wifi was still running and by default the radio didn't go to sleep when it's idle (changed that). I reduced syncing frequencies for most services to once a day, so that can hardly be the problem. When looking at the battery usage reports, it's mostly the huge screen draining the battery, but that's turned off at night. Last night I turned off any data connection and went to bed with 90% battery and woke up with a dead one.


So what on earth is crashing my battery so quickly? Does anyone have any suggestions other than the no-brainers mentioned here.



Answer



I ended up trying several things mentioned in the XDA-developer thread:



  • Changing the Networkmode from GSM / WCDMA Automatic to either GSM or WCDMA, XDA-users claimed that switching between these two modes is a huge battery drainer. In my experience this was the most important one.

  • Installing a widget, so I could check whether Bluetooth and GPS were really turned off. Especially GPS could run in the background, after using Google Navigation, without displaying the icon.


  • Turn off syncing for apps you don't really use or rate limit updates to a larger interval. You can always update manually and getting new contact info once a day is more than enough!

  • Remove widgets that need regular updates, even though the sync setting should have control this.

  • As I'm using a HTC Sense phone, I turned off all their proprietary apps, I simply don't trust the power usage of things like Footprints.


If you apply all these settings, you should manage to get a full days worth out of your battery, unless you play too much Angry Birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...