Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Why is it that many Android apps do not feature a true close application feature?



I was wondering why it seems many applications in the Android eco-system come without a true "close" feature? It seems "different(to be politically correct)" to have to manage if an application is running through the OS rather than the actual application itself.



Answer



This is a policy encouraged by Google. I can't find the exact link, but you can see related guidelines here: http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/menu_design.html


The idea is that users shouldn't have to explicitly manage their apps, they can just let the Android OS hibernate or terminate applications on an as-needed basis. The problem, of course, is that this doesn't work perfectly. I find it's often too aggressive with apps I want running, and not aggressive enough with services I'm not interested in. But the goal is to minimize the time users need to spend managing application states.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...