Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Use Google Talk with multiple accounts


(Motorola Droid, Android 2.2.2)


My new employer uses Google Apps to manage e-mail etc. They're also big into instant messaging for intra-company communication.



On my device I have my personal account and have added my company account so I can use Gmail for either, have consolidated calendar, etc.


However, the Google Talk app is tied to my main (personal) Google account. I can't see a way to get it to use the company account or, better, allow both accounts to be active.


How can I use Google Talk with a secondary account?



Answer



EDIT: Looks like this is coming, according to Google employee Colin Gibbs, on this Google Mobile Support forum thread:



Thanks for being patient while we work on this feature. When we launched Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), we added support to Google Talk for multiple accounts. We're currently working on bringing the feature to phones as well.



So it looks like it should work on a Honeycomb tablet, and they may be backporting it to Gingerbread phones (video chat over GTalk has just been enabled for 2.3.4, so they're definitely porting Honeycomb Talk's features back to phones).





Original Answer:
Not a great solution, doesn't do all the alerting and notifications in a way that's integrated with the Android OS, but the only way to do this currently seems to be to use the built-in GTalk client for one account, and access the other via the web page.


For a standard GTalk account use this URL to sign into the mobile webpage: http://talkgadget.google.com/talkgadget/m


For a Google Apps Gtalk account use this URL to sign into the mobile webpage: https://hostedtalkgadget.google.com/a/YOUR_DOMAIN_HERE.COM/talkgadget/m


Or use a second IM client for the second GTalk account, as suggested by Matthew Read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...