Saturday, October 11, 2014

moto x - Enable /system write in TWRP - Systemless root


Moto X Play (XT1562), SuperSU 2.78 (systemless root), TWRP 3.0.2-r3




  • When I flashed TWRP, I chose the option of not writing to system to enable OS update (and also made a Nandroid just after flashing it as a backup)





  • Now, I made some minor changes to system audio files, without dwelling on consequences - won't be able to update OS ( update expected this quarter) without flashing stock OS




I want to enable /system write option in TWRP ( without flashing TWRP again ) so that :


a) Flash backup Nandroid ( of stock OS from the first Nandroid), if I decide to upgrade OS


b) If I don't want to upgrade, have a complete Nandroid and tweak further knowing that I can safely roll back changes


In other words be able to backup and restore /system along with data


Is it possible and how ( please provide detailed instructions )?


Edit: Flashing different versions didn't help - see my unanswered post on XDA




Answer



It appears that the issue was TWRP's fault. To make the /system partition writeable, one could:




  • Uncheck the checkbox near Mount system partition read-only, in the Mount section of TWRP (screenshot at the end of this answer);




  • Delete, move or rename the .twrps file to force TWRP's setup wizard to trigger, in order to make /system writeable. This file is located under sdcard/TWRP, and can be managed directly from TWRP's File Manager, accessible from the Advanced section of the recovery. Notice that any TWRP setting customization aside of themes will be reverted.





TWRP Mount menu


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...