Monday, October 20, 2014

adb - Why is my Galaxy S4 still not appearing as a device in Mac OS X


I am trying to solve the problem of having an empty list of devices when running adb devices. Why is it not appearing?


I have tried the following to no avail:



  • Installed Kies and ran Tools > Install driver; then restarted

  • Turned off the Mac OS X firewall in

  • run sudo adb devices instead of just adb devices


  • Read the user manual from Samsung, which simply refers me to use Kies

  • Attach S4 to a different macbook in case the USB input is faulty

  • Try both different USB inputs in my Macbook Pro


The output I see after doing a fresh restart and plugging in the S4:


./adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached


(with nothing more shown underneath)


Also, even after installing the drivers using Kies, the device does not appear there.


I am running OS X 10.9 on a Macbook Pro. The phone lights up and does start to charge when it is plugged in to any of the 2 USB ports on my Macbook.


What else can I try to have my brand new S4 appear in this device list?


EDIT It seems according to this thread (http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/282817-pc-cant-detect-galaxy-s4.html) that it may just be a faulty cable. I'm currently using the cable that came with the S4. I'll try other cables.



Answer



Answer: I was using the cable that Samsung provided with the phone


Solution: Go get a USB<>MiniUSB cable that was provided with a digital SLR a few years back and use that instead. The S4 now appears in the adb output and in Kies just fine.


Thankyou Samsung


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...