Wednesday, July 11, 2018

hardware - How can I tell if my installed Android version, not CPU, is a 64 bit or 32 bit one?


As long as a 64 bit CPU is supposed to execute 32 bit programs, it is sometimes hard to know which one do I have installed on my device.


There are programs that require this knowledge, like the Xposed Framework installer.


What could be considered the proper method, whether be it ADB, command-line or software?


I used to do on desktop Linux:


 sudo uname -a

Maybe there is some equivalent for Android?


Further data:





  • Some programs that should inform about this are not clear enoguh for me. This is a example of some AIDA64 report. Even when it shows 32 bit, is this info about the operating system? I would say it is just about the hardware:


    (Click image to enlarge; my AIDA64 is in Spanish)


    IMG: AIDA64 report example





Question extended to this other





Answer



uname -m will display the architecture of the running kernel. This is different than whatever your hardware may be capable of running.


Unfortunately, you have to know which architectures are 32-bit and which are 64-bit. But you can easily find this out.


For example, my m7 displays arm7l. A quick search confirms that this is a 32-bit architecture, meaning that my running kernel was compiled as a 32-bit executable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...