Wednesday, July 25, 2018

google play store - How can I turn off the “allow automatic updating” for **all** apps?


Recently Google started to check the “allow automatic updating” for their apps without being asked, which I hate. I have to deactivate it for each app separately.


But more importantly this pushed Google Books onto my phone, which I don´t need and wastes precious 4 MB internal memory.


And here comes the nasty twist: Google book is not actually available for my System (for whatever reason). So I can´t get the applications market page to un-check the “allow automatic updating”.


This leaves me wondering: is there a way to deactivate the “allow automatic updating” for all applications?



Answer



There bitter truth is there is none option to switch all automatic updated off in one go.


I solved my particular problem by rooting the phone. Since no exploit is known for 2.3.4 I had to unlock the phone. This in turn meant that both Amazon MP3 and Google Books stopped updating themselves.


Which is one way to solve the problem. Still I removed the files using the following Script:



#!/opt/local/bin/zsh

setopt No_Err_Exit

adb -d uninstall com.amazon.mp3
adb -d uninstall com.google.android.apps.books

setopt Err_Exit

adb -d pull /system/app/com.amazon.mp3.apk Originals/com.amazon.mp3.apk

adb -d pull /system/app/BooksPhone.apk Originals/BooksPhone.apk
adb -d pull /system/app/BooksPhone.odex Originals/BooksPhone.odex

adb -d shell <<-EOF
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

busybox rm -v /system/app/com.amazon.mp3.apk
busybox rm -v /system/app/BooksPhone.apk
busybox rm -v /system/app/BooksPhone.odex


mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

busybox rm -v /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@com.amazon.mp3.apk@classes.dex
busybox rm -v -r /data/data/com.amazon.mp3
busybox rm -v -r /data/data/com.google.android.apps.books

exit
exit
EOF


# vim: set nowrap tabstop=4 shiftwidth=4 softtabstop=4 noexpandtab :
# vim: -d set textwidth=0 filetype=zsh foldmethod=marker nospell :

Warning: This is script from the “If you can't understand it you should not be using it” category.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...