Wednesday, November 22, 2017

unbricking - Bootloader/BIOS, flashing ROM and correlated risks. Why Android devices are more brickable than PCs?


I have a solid experience of installing different OS (Linux, Windows,...) on PC. I would like to try just for fun to install Linux on a unbranded Android low cost tablet acquired in 2015. I spent some time browsing the web and as far as I understood there is a risk that during the flash procedure the device could be potentially damaged. So I read extensively on how to backup the ROM using TWRP and all related matters. I would like just to have some explanations on the below topic:


Scenario #1:
I have a PC, if I want to try another OS I can just format the hard disk and install it, in no way there is the risk of damaging the BIOS motherboard. Motherboard and hard-disk are separated, so no problems may arise.


Scenario #2:

I have a tablet, want to wipe out Android and install an upgraded version of Android or a Linux distro suitable for mobile devices.



  • Why in this scenario there is a risk to get an unusable device?

  • Is this because in this case motherboard and unit memory are bundled together? So wiping the memory will also erase the configuration settings of the motherboard?

  • Do we have here the equivalent of BIOS settings?




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...