Tuesday, November 28, 2017

motorola xoom - Install Google Chrome for old tablet / phone


I have recently recovered my old tablet (Motorola Xoom Wifi). I am now on Android 4.1.2. The only important thing I am missing after recovery is Google Chrome.


I can see the application on the Google Play Store as Chrome Browser - Google, however the store indicates me "Your device isn't compatible with this version". I remember having some Google Chrome on the Xoom before recovery and I remember seeing the same message when I was offered to update Chrome recently (last few months). Is there some archive I could download older Chrome versions from?


What are my other options? Would rooting the tablet and installing Android 4.4.2 allow me to install the recent Chrome?


Is there some way to check what exactly does the new Chrome require my tablet does not have?


The only browser I have available now is the "Browser", and while it works, I would definitely prefer using Chrome.



Answer






  • I have Chrome 54.0.2 840.68, which is a prior version to what is available on the play store




  • Min API level is 21 and targetted is 25, which corresponds to Android 5.0 and 7.1.1 as can be seen here




  • API level was read using manifest viewer




  • Incompatibility warning is being shown as your Android version is not supported. Options you have and associated risks are explained in the accepted answer here Chrome Browser is not supported on this device (Samsung GT-P7500). That leaves you with choices of:





    1. Upgrading your Android version




    2. Accepting security risk of using earlier version downloaded from a secure site as commented




    3. Using a different browser







No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...