Sunday, November 19, 2017

data connection - Can I use an Android phone without an Internet access plan?


I'm interested in buying an Android phone for Xmas. Currently my pick is LG Optimus One.
I will be using it without any Internet access plan, only using Wifi wherever possible.


Some questions that I have:



  1. Can the phone be usable even if I don't have any Internet access plan, or there will be severe usability issues? (eg: features that will not work)


  2. Do I have offline access to Google Calendar and GMail, auto-synchronizing whenever it detects Wifi connection?

  3. Is there an option to block any attempts from apps/phone to connect to Internet through GPRS/3G (thus slashing my credit from the carrier, since I won't have an Internet plan...)?


Thanks.



Answer




  1. YES. You will use it as a regular phone, but will be disconnected from the networks (Facebook, Twitter, IMs, Sync, etc)

  2. YES. You can access your calendar offline. And yes, you can sync when Wi-Fi is available.

  3. Yes, you just disable data traffic.



No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...