Friday, January 13, 2017

input methods - Is There A Keyboard Layout Creator for Android?


I have created a keyboard layout for the language I speak on windows using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.


I want to port the same layout to Phones.



Before the cursing starts, I have done a quick research.:) according to which:




  • all keyboard layouts are located at \system\usr\keylayout




  • all keyboard character map files are located at \system\usr\keychars




  • I went through the official documentation on Key Layout Files





Where Do I Stand Now?


Well, as I said in the start I have worked with a MS based app for creating keyboard layouts on Windows (obviously), The whole thing in Linux world is a bit gibberish to me at the moment because of lots of manual text file editing I guess.


So, my ultimate question is,


Is there such a tool which can help me create a new layout or import the existing layout which I created for windows to Android?


Update 2


I couldn't update my answer before because I didn't get the time. I finally found a tool which helped me a lot. It's called Keyboard Layout Editor. Please don't forget to star this guys repo. KLE is really easy to use and functional and I could achieve my goal easily. Oh by the way this one is for Ubuntu(Linux).


For Android though, I cloned the Sample SoftKeybord from Android source. You can download tar here. It's not a layout editor but the actual keyboard. You just edit it to suit your needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...