Friday, January 6, 2017

automation - Dual SIM device : How to configure data usage on per app basis (Rooted device)


My Moto X Play (6.0.1, rooted, Xposed installed ) has dual SIM options, which I usually don't use. Recently, I had a need to use two SIMs, borrowed one with generous data allowance and second (personal ) SIM which was halfway to hitting the data cap.


My need was to configure data usage on a per app basis so that :





  • I don't exhaust data on my personal SIM while being able to use mobile number linked accounts like WhatsApp, Uber, banking accounts etc.




  • For all other apps , use the data from borrowed SIM




I couldn't find an app to do this, as is evident from this similar question, which has no responses yet -Is there a way on a DUAL SIM Android phone to configure on a per-app basis, which app uses which sim card to access internet?


How do I configure SIM data usage on per app basis ?


(This is a self answered question to share one way of doing it. You are welcome to post alternate solutions )




Answer



Requires Rooted Device, Xposed framework installed, latest version of GravityBox Xposed module and an app - I use Macrodroid


Create a macro in Macrodroid


Trigger:




  • Application Launched → select from the drop down list, all apps you want to use on SIM card linked to banking, WhatsApp, Uber etc (5 apps in example below )




  • Application Launched → select from the drop down list, all apps you want to use on second SIM card (16 apps in example below )





( Make sure that apps don't appear on both lists !)


Actions:




  • If → + → Trigger Fired → Application Launched 5 apps →




  • Tap End If and add this action - Launch Shortcut → GravityBox actions → SIM settings → SIM 1 for data





Repeat this for second set of apps and choose SIM 2 for data


Constraints: Leave blank


Done !


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...