Wednesday, September 3, 2014

localization - How do I add a new language?


The aftermarket ROM I use seems to have the language list parred down to just a couple selections, probably to save space.


I would like to add a language back into the system. I can already set the locale using programs such as MoreLocale 2 so that applications with my language support start with the right locale code, however that doesn't add missing system languages. Having the system in another language would be nice, but the main thing is getting the dictionary files for the keyboard auto-complete. How does one go about adding the language support files for an input language to a system or ROM?



I can access other ROM's or the AOSP project to rip things out, but I don't know where to start. What files do I need and what modifications need to be made? Is there an easy way to do this with say a language-pack or is it hackery all the way?


My ROM is fully rooted and I have adb access if necessary. It's Android 2.3.7 (Unofficial CM 7.1 port for Dream/Sapphire) and I'm using the stock Android keyboard. The language I want is Turkish, although unless somebody has a download to point me to it's mostly the process I'm looking for here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...