Thursday, March 12, 2015

screen - Do bright wallpapers spend more battery than dark ones?


I started wondering about this when I realized most websites I visit have white backgrounds, and I know that the screen is usually responsible for most of the battery usage. Since I can't change the background in those sites, I might at least switch my wallpaper to a black one.


Most (all?) phones need back-lighting to brighten the screen when needed. Since that back-lighting consumes battery, is it correct to state that a white screen consumes energy at a faster rate than a black one? (assuming the same brightness level in the settings)


I'm assuming that a white screen needs stronger back-lighting, but I don't know if it's the case.



Answer



On OLED, AMOLED and Super AMOLED screens: Yes



LCD screens: No


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...