Tuesday, March 24, 2015

unrooting - Is it possible to unroot a device?


Once a device has been rooted, is it possible to unroot?



I also want to keep my data, so can I unroot without wiping/re-imaging? If so, how difficult is this?



Answer



This really depends. What phone are you using and how did you root it?


For example: some phones have an easy "one click" root method to root your phone. They often have a reverse easy "one click" unroot method. An example of this is EasyRoot for Droid.


As for doing it via a factory reset, that's not necessarily enough. Factory resets usually (always?) wipe only the user partitions such as /data without touching the system partition, where su and other evidence of rooting is likely to remain. Re-flashing the ROM should be enough though, although some devices have flash counters that may also be checked if you send in your phone for warranty purposes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...