Saturday, November 10, 2018

samsung galaxy s 4 - Trying to restore photos from a broken S4 (AT&T), how do I go about it?



My friend broke her S4's screen, and wants to get back the photos from the internal memory. The phone does not have USB debugging turned on, so having it attached to the computer only charges it. The phone does show up in Kies and is asking for me to unlock it. I do have the pin code, but as the screen is dead, and I cannot put it in. ADB devices, and FastBoot devices do not show the phone at all. Fastboot Reboot-recovery does not do anything either.


How can I go about restoring these photos from the internal memory. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!



Answer



Alright, I managed to get it work. I hooked up a octopus USB extension to a micro USB cable on one end, and an USB keyboard on the other end. I booted the phone and then pressed ENTER, ##PIN##CODE##, ENTER on the USB keyboard and the device unlocked. This took a few tries as I was going in blindly.


Then I unplugged the USB cord, then plugged in a micro USB cable that was connected to my computer (Ubuntu 14.04). The phone showed up w/o any problems and I was able to grab files from the on-board storage.


One thing I had to do was constantly keep pressing the BACK button on the device to prevent it from locking.


At the end of it all, I successfully extracted 4GB worth of pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...