Thursday, June 7, 2018

languages - Is there a way to turn off translation in Google Play


I have HTC Desire with Norwegian language set up. In Google play, all program descriptions are translated to Norwegian. I find this quite annoying because most of the translations are bad, and looks quite silly in Norwegian. Sometimes I need to imagine what it would be in English to understand what it say!



Is it possible to force the Google Play app to display all texts in original language?


EDIT:
I have realized that the issue is different for different apps.


Examples:




  1. AppLock by DoMobile Lab. This one is the description shown as badly translated to Norwegian in Google Play on my phone. When I go to Google Play in a browser on my PC, it shows description in English (My PC has English system language, and I have set up Google settings to use English).




  2. MindFeud by MonkeyBin Studios. This is shown with English description in Google Play on my phone, but it has a button next to the description header you can click on to translate (which is a function in Google Play, probably using Google Translate). This is exactly how I want it to be.





  3. TvGuiden by MeeTV AS. This is a Norwegian app, and of course has good Norwegian description in Google Play on my phone. This is also fine with me, since it is a proper translation. When I go to Google Play in a browser on my PC, it shows description in English, which is evidence that it provides description both in English and Norwegian. In this case it's most likely written in Norwegian and additionally translated to English.




In example 1, I suspect the app vendor have translated using automatic tool and reports to Google Play having a translation for that language.


In example 2, the app vendor does not claim to have a translation to Norwegian, so in this case, it is shown in Google Play in English, with a button that the user can choose to get it translated.


Example 3 has a truly proper Norwegian translation done by humans, so the app vendor reports correctly to have a translation for Norwegian. It would be interesting to get experience from others on this app if it will be shown in English for users that has phone language set to other than Norwegian (example Hungarian).


Is this the result of some app vendors (ref. example 1) misunderstand how the translation system in Google Play is supposed to work?



Answer




Three methods available, depending from where are you accessing Google:




  1. Google Play app usually uses the language defined on your device settings:



    1. Tap your device "home";

    2. Tap "settings";

    3. Locate "Language & keyboard" and tap;

    4. Under "Select language" you can define the language for your device that is also used by the Google Play App as to present you the information on your language.





  2. Accessing from a browser: The Google Play Store sets the language by your IP address, you can update that definition by changing it at the footer (it will persist):


    Google Play Store Footer




  3. For all Google Products: From Gmail, you can access your account settings and set the language that you prefer for Google Products:



    1. Login to your Gmail account;

    2. On the top right corner, click "account";


    3. On the left vertical menu, click "language".


    Google Account Settings




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...