Friday, August 28, 2015

root access - /system cannot be remounted as RW, even when rooted (Sony Xperia E3)


I rooted my Sony Xperia E3 (D2203) a while ago using Kingroot, which worked flawlessly. Before rooting my device, /system could be accessed, which is how root was installed in the first place.


However after rebooting the phone, I now cannot mount /system as rw, as the kernel mounts it as Read-Only and gives me a Operation not permitted error whenever I try to remount it as rw. Apparently the kernel on Sony devices detects root and mounts /system as Read-Only.


I cannot flash a new recovery as the bootloader is permanently locked.


What can I do to mount /system at startup as rw, or mount /system when the device is online?


A non-destructive method would be great.


Here is the command I'm using to try and mount /system:


mount -o remount,rw /system


Yes, the terminal is in root mode.



Answer




Using Total Commander to remount the / directory as RW also remounted /system as RW.


Howto:



  1. Enable Root Functions Everywhere in TC settings.

  2. Proceed to add a new button to the toolbar with Function Type Internal Command.

  3. Press on the >> button, and select the 119 Remount option.

  4. Press OK/Apply

  5. Navigate to root (/) directory.

  6. Press newly created Remount button and accept any prompts.



Edit: I've found that when I'm using Kingroot to manage root, mounting works correctly. When I migrated over to SuperSU however, I could not remount / or /system as RW. If the above steps don't work for you, Kingroot might be worth a shot.


Another edit: While I do recommend Kingroot as an option to allow access to your /system folder, you should exercise caution with Kingroot, as it is known to gather information about your device. I would save Kingroot to be a last resort, should you cannot find any other method of remounting /system as rw successfully.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...