Saturday, October 5, 2019

security - Is there a way to control/use Google Play Protect together with microG (open source Google Play service alternative)?


I'm facing a tricky scenario, sometime back I decided to discontinue using Google Play Services in favour of an open source alternative - microG due to constant problems and crashing of several Google applications on my device.


As Google launched Google Play Protect1 feature (on all Android devices running Google Play Services 11 or later), this seems to be missing or at least I'm not sure how to use it (i.e enable or disable it) with microG.


With a device running Google Play Services, one can easily control it by navigating to: Settings ➡ Google ➡ Security ➡ Google Play Protect


I wish to be able to control this feature on microG so I can control/disable constant false positive notifications about my installed applications being harmful, and also to have my applications regularly scanned.


Is there way to control "Play Protect" on a device running microG, or at least to integrate via another means, perhaps an Xposed module?




1




Google Play Protect is a feature that is, essentially, an evolution of the company’s “Verify Apps” service that was rolled out to Android many years ago. The feature, which will be enabled by default on all Android devices, is meant to be a real-time malware scanner that will scan every installed or about-to-be installed app and inform users in case there’s something amiss.




Answer



Google Play Protect can be disabled by editing these XML files:



/data/system/users/0/settings_secure.xml



package_verifier_user_consent=-1



/data/system/users/0/settings_global.xml



package_verifier_enable=0
upload_apk_enable=0

Edit


On older Android, it is stored in a database located at: /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db. You need to use some database editor to change that parameter


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...