Monday, October 7, 2019

dialer - Screen turns off during call due to problem with proximity sensor - Xperia Z3 compact


I'm using Sony Xperia Z3 compact running Lollipop 5.1.1. My proximity sensor is really faulty (Works only when I press hard on the top left corner of the phone). I'm sure it's the proximity sensor because I used test apps and I can see it's detecting proximity all the time (unless I press hard on the corner).


Obviously, my biggest problem with that is that my screen goes dark when I make a call (Because the proximity sensor think the phone is near my ear). Trying to use the power button to turn on the screen didn't work so I set the power button to hangup calls (Otherwise I had to wait for the other side to hang up!).


I've seen many (many!) posts about this issue and tried all the apps who claimed to turn off the proximity sensor and non worked (including using the service setting at *#*#7378423#*#*) :



  • KeepScreen

  • Screen On Call


  • Screenbl - Screen On/Off Sensor

  • Smart Screen On Off

  • Disable Proximity Sensor

  • Proximity Fix

  • Proximity Screen Off Lite

  • On Call Proximity


I gave them all admin permissions and whatever they asked, but they all failed... The proximity sensor is just too strong for them I guess...


My only hope is to find an actual dialer app that has an option to ignore the proximity sensor (Used to be a popular option in the past). The Xperia Z3 compact default dialer does not have this option, nor the following dialers I've tried (At least I couldn't find that option):




  • Turedialer

  • DW Contacts & Phone & Dialer

  • Dialapp: KitKat Dialer

  • Reactiv Phone Dialer

  • Contacts+

  • KK Phone (KK Dialer, Lollipop)

  • Ready Contacts + Dialer

  • pixelPhone Pro


The only app I've found to have this option and it actually worked really well was: Viber, but unfortunately Viber cannot be used as a regular dialer but only as viber-to-viber dialer or viber-out dialer (like Skype credit).



So please, if you know of a dialer which you're sure has the option to ignore proximity sensor (or: 'keep screen on during call' as it sometimes called), please share it with. Any other original ideas will be welcomed as well.



Answer



I'm sure some of the solutions that were mentioned here will work for other people but unfortunately, the only solution that worked for me was a hardware solution. I took my phone to a lab and they pressed the screen to the back of the phone with some extra glue. After 24 hours the phone was good as new. As a programmer I was disappointed that no software solution could solve my problem, but I still feel obligated to share my solution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...