Friday, February 23, 2018

internal storage - How to see what is stored in System memory area?


I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" tablet (Android 4.1.2, not rooted). I tried to install a big app recently and it failed because it said that I didn't have enough space.


When I go into Settings > Storage, this is what I see:
8GB - Total Space
2.83GB - Apps
199MB - Pictures, videos
116KB - Audio

18.69MB - Downloads
3.47GB - Miscellaneous files
1.14GB - Available space


The 3.47GB for Miscellaneous files seems really odd to me. When I select the "Miscellaneous files" item, it says that most of the space (3.33GB) is being used for "System Memory" and the rest contains a number of small files.


I have tried restarting it, cleaning out cache of various apps, and a lot of poking around with a file manager. I have also moved as many apps to SD Card as possible, but most of my apps don't support that function.


I just can't understand what is taking up almost half the available storage space. Is this normal operating system stuff that can't be cleaned up? Is there a way to see what is contained within and clean some of that space up? If there is one particular app that is taking up a ton of "System Memory" space, then I might be willing to remove it. Note that I have looked at the applications through Application manager, sorted by size, and the largest app is only using 323MB of app space.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...