Monday, December 9, 2019

usb on the go - USB host mode not working on Samsung Galaxy S using CyanogenMod


I am using CyanogenMod 10.1.0-RC3 (Android 4.2.2) on my Samsung Galaxy S Plus (GT-I9001). I have read Android 4 supports USB on the go, so I wanted to give it a try.


I bought a USB OTG cable, and connected a USB stick (formatted FAT32) to my phone. Nothing happened. After reading this question, I installed USB Host diagnostics, and my device says:



Android API


Claims support: Yes


Classes found: Yes


Device Detected: No




I bought a new USB OTG cable to be sure this is not the problem, but the result is the same.


What am I missing? I have the right Android version, an appropriate cable, no special hardware (just a USB stick - I tried with different ones). Maybe I need the host mode drivers? But I don't know where to find them, and I am not sure if this is my problem.


What can cause my issue and how can I solve it?



Answer



The Galaxy S Plus (i9001) needs an external power source to have a working USB OTG. See this link on XDA for more information (it's for the i9000, but does also apply).


According to GSMArena's spec (USB: Yes, microUSB v2.0) the i9001 firmware doesn't originally support USB-OTG (compare the S3's spec, but 3rd party firmware added this later on. It does however not function without external 5V power.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...