Sunday, March 24, 2019

4.3 Galaxy S4: how do I prevent keyboard backspace from deleting whole word?


I've just updated my Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile, in case that matters) from 4.2.2 to 4.3. Now when using the keyboard (default settings), if I get to the end of a word -- either strictly on my own or via one of its suggestions -- and then backspace, it deletes the whole word. Before, backspacing at that point deleted one character at a time. Often it's faster for me to correct a suggestion (or notice and fix a typo of mine) this way than to start over with that word. I'd like my phone to stop being so aggressive in cleaning up after me.


I don't remember setting something for this in the previous version (though it's been a while). I've walked through the settings for the device and in Twitter and Messaging (the apps where I've noticed this behavior so far), but haven't found anything that seems relevant. I have not rooted my phone and don't plan to.


Current settings, under Device -> Language & Input:




  • Default: Samsung keyboard

  • Samsung keyboard settings:

    • predictive text: on

    • auto replacement: off

    • auto capitalization: on

    • auto spacing: on

    • auto punctuate: off




  • Keyboard Swipe:

    • SwiftKey Flow on

    • Cursor Control off




Aside from auto punctuate (which I turned off), these settings are as they came after the upgrade.



Answer




I never got this working (and didn't download a different keyboard), but I recently received the update for 4.4.4 and it's working now. So I don't know if it was something specific to Samsung (or my provider, T-Mobile), but the whole-word deletion has stopped.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...