Sunday, April 8, 2018

Why does Google Messages (SMS/MMS) app lose phone number?


I've been using Google Messages since it released a year or two ago on the same phone.



Suddenly, three days ago the app popped up a message and said, "Your phone number isn't available in the settings for this app. Do you want to add it?"


I added the number (see snapshots below for how to get to settings in Google Messages).


App Forgets Phone Number


However, (even though I've added the number) each time I turn my phone off (for example, at the end of each day) the data seems to be lost because when I turn my phone on again and Google Messages app starts again then the number shows as UNKNOWN again.


Doesn't Know Who I Am


When the app starts and doesn't have the phone number filled out, it sends the messages I send to myself also.


Is this setting a new feature? What are some reasons this might be occurring?


Getting To The Settings In Google Messages


Getting to Settings In Google Messages





Select Advanced...


Advanced...




Phone Number UNKNOWN You can see (at the bottom) the phone number is unknown.




phone number unknown






MMS Messages Are Affected


This affects my MMS messages (specifically when I'm in a group message). The thing that happens is that the phone doesn't know my number so when I send a message to the group it believes there is another receiver and that receiver has my phone number so I receive my own message.



Phone Settings


My phone settings have not changed and when I look under the main phone settings I can see that my phone number is correct. Also, if I type in the phone number then the group messages work fine but I have to remember to do that every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...