Thursday, October 26, 2017

clockworkmod recovery - A simple explanation of CWM and Odin


I'm going to root my Samsung Galaxy Note and I come across the terms CWM and Odin very often. What exactly are they? It seems that CWM is used for rooting and Odin for flashing the phone. Is there more to it?


I've posted here because I have been unable to to find a good explanation online.



Answer



CWM is the shortform of ClockWorkMod. ROMManager, CWM recovery, Tether etc are their products. CWM Recovery and ROMManager are tools which enables you to backup your current ROM, install custom ROMs etc.


If you are interested in knowing more about CWM, see this page. For rooting you do not need CWM. In fact for installing CWM you need to be rooted.



For anyone who plays with ROMs, tweaking and testing, CWM Recovery or some thing equivalent to it is mandatory and would save your neck several times.


Also, you could specify which part you are not clear with. It will help to get better answers. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...