Saturday, August 30, 2014

applications - Text editor that supports italic text and tab indenting, via keyboard shortcuts



Background: I've just become to proud new owner of an Asus TF101 honeycomb tablet, which has a nice hardware keyboard attached to it.


I do a lot of writing, and cannot find a text editing app which allows me to set text as italic using CTRL + I, or to reliably indent new paragraphs with the tab key*.


Does anyone here have any recommendations? (I'm pondering writing my own app to do this at the moment, I'm that desperate).


The google docs app doesn't support it (and at any rate doesn't work unless there's an active internet connection). I have tried various free text editing apps, to no avail.
I've asked the developers behind Documents to Go if they support this, but no answer yet. Quickoffice have a feature request for it currently open. Unsure about possible Androffice support, but googling suggest unlikely.


Many thanks in advance,



UPDATE: Documents To Go does not support the CTRL + I shortcut, although italics are supported.


G


PS - I know android tablets are still in their early days, and it might be a case of waiting. The OpenOffice guys have released an ODT viewer, hopefully a potential full openoffice android app might do this.


* - the bundled productivity app called Polaris Office supports the tab key for indenting newlines, but not CTRL + I (it requires four screen-touches to turn italics on and off - OK for once in a while, not OK for frequent use)



Answer



Documents To Go is a very good app. It provides the formatting requirements you wanted and supports creating and reading Microsoft Office documents as well as Google Docs.


It supports word, excel and powerpoint. It can be found on the Android market https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dataviz.docstogoapp&feature=search_result


There is a free version but I believe this only let's you view not create or edit documents


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...