Sunday, May 26, 2019

security - Is there an official dialer code resource?



There are a ton of XDA forums and a decent number of answers here that refer to specific dialer codes. For instance *#*#4636#*#* will cause unicorns to spring forth from your phone or tell you what OS you're running and how much RAM you have (I forget which). I found one list of Secret Star Codes but I'm wondering if there's a more complete list? Someone warned that some codes can really screw up your phone and it'd be nice to have a good place to point people for good information on what the codes actually mean.


Though in fact *#*#4636#*#*, which was recently recommended, is fairly safe, I think it is a good practice, especially since we all start talking about fire breathing dragons when the subject of rooting a device comes up, to make sure we're encouraging folks to make sure they know what a dialer code is going to do.



Answer



This thread over at XDA seems to be a pretty good start on this kind of resource.


Edit: I just noticed that the OP in that thread admitted that most of the codes listed wouldn't work in 2.2. Bummer.


Edit 2: Found another one. No indication of whether these codes have been tested and if so what device/ROM was used.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...