Tuesday, February 3, 2015

rooting - Galaxy S4 Mini not recognized by Linux in Download Mode


I'm currently trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, so to install CWM, I boot the device into download mode using my Linux Mint 17.2 laptop:



$ adb reboot bootloader

Now, as intended, my phone boots into download mode, yet fastboot doesn't recognize the device:


$ sudo fastboot devices
$ sudo fastboot continue
< waiting for device >

However, in lsusb, the phone clearly shows up:


Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04e8:685d Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd GT-I9100 Phone [Galaxy S II] (Download mode)


As you can see above, I run fastboot as root, so it certainly isn't a permission problem.


I can't find a solution anywhere on the internet, so any help is appreciated. If you need any further information, let me know.




Let me throw some additional stuff on you, in case it helps:


My PC:


$ dpkg -s android-tools-fastboot
Package: android-tools-fastboot
Status: install ok installed
Priority: extra
Section: devel

Installed-Size: 154
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers
Architecture: amd64
Source: android-tools
Version: 4.2.2+git20130218-3ubuntu23
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libselinux1 (>= 2.0.65), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.4)
Conffiles:
/etc/bash_completion.d/fastboot df71a6a847b1d7c6499ad718502b651f
Description: Android Fastboot protocol CLI tool
Fastboot is a diagnostic protocol primarily used to update the flash

filesystem of Android devices over USB.
.
This package provides the fastboot command-line tool.
Homepage: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/adb.html
Original-Maintainer: Laszlo Boszormenyi (GCS)

$ uname -a
Linux dracarys 3.16.0-38-generic #52~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 8 09:43:57 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My phone:



Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195
Android 4.4.2
Linux version: 3.4.0-3173303

Answer



Samsung devices do not support fastboot. To flash a custom recovery, you can either use the dd command from within your ROM (assuming you're rooted), or use Heimdall. Instructions on using Heimdall can be found in the Heimdall Linux README.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...