Monday, February 23, 2015

4.4 kitkat - Change DNS but stay on DHCP


I have a "Minix Neo X8-H Plus" Android TV box, running Android 4.4 (KitKat).


I want to change the DNS servers on the WiFi connection, but to do that, I only get that choice if I change to a static IP address. Now, on Windows or on iOS you can keep using DHCP, while setting different DNS servers to what the DHCP service provides.


Is this at all possible on Android? Does it mean I will have to root the device?



Answer



At the moment (Marshmallow) it's not possible. I usually get it using apps which require root permissions.


Another way could be to use an iptables trick, but it requires root, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

samsung galaxy s 2 - Cannot restore Kies backup after firmware upgrade

I backed up my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Kies before updating to Ice Cream Sandwich. After the upgrade I tried to restore, but the restore fails ...